Instagram - @iamanocelot

Friday, November 2, 2012

ketchikan, AK
















The best (easiest) part of travel posts is I don't have to think up creative titles. Ketchikan is a small fishing town in Alaska.

Craziest thing I did in Alaska: went snorkeling. The 9mm thick wetsuits really do keep you warm, I wasn't at all cold (that I remember). Sorry for the blur on some photos, I was using an underwater camera that I'd never used before and just bought on the ship.

The starfish sometimes are hard to come undone, after they've really planted themselves on your hand for long enough. And the tons of white jellyfish are actually not toxic or dangerous, but the red ones are. That one came right towards my face (which is the only area of your body exposed during snorkeling) so I swerved out of the way to avoid it, then swung back around to snap a photo of it.

Look, another purple sea urchin! Points for reference.

Did you know that sea cucumbers (hint: check the moustache) will vomit their entire intestinal tract in the case that they are threatened with being eaten? Therefore, the predator will become interested in... that, allowing for the sea cucumber to get away. Hence, we were not allowed to squeeze the sea cucumbers. End animal nerd talk.

Also, a pair of adolescent bald eagles. They'd become so common by the end of the trip that I'd stopped bothering to take photos of them.

No comments :